8 Ways to Stay Longer in Australia

8 Ways to Stay Longer in Australia

ways to stay longer in australia

This is me in Sydney

Frank Rijkers – South Africans to Oz

Ways to stay longer in Australia. Here are 8 if you are living, working or holidaying in Australia and your time is running out.

Below I have listed 8 possible routes to prolong your stay in Australia depending on which visa you have.

Some South Africans can’t wait to get back home but others love it here and want to extend their visa to stay longer in Australia if possible, many even permanently.

1)  Sponsored Visa 457 (Will change to the new TSS visa March 2018)

See the latest news on changes (2017) to the Australian visas here.

If you have an eligible job offer from an Australian company that sponsors you, you can stay and work in Australia if you stay in that job. The visa needs to be renewed at least every four years.

Sponsored Jobs In Australia has over 2600 jobs to choose from, that includes professional occupations in computing, engineering, trades, IT, managers etc.

If you are currently in Australia and apply for a 457 visa before your current visa expires you will be issued with a bridging visa until your sponsorship visa is approved or denied.

Remember you now have 90 days to secure a new sponsor if you lose your job unless you have a new visa application in progress. If not, then when the 90 days are up, you must leave Australia.

While you are on your business sponsorship 457 visa you are entitled, after 3 years, to apply for the permanent residency visa.

2) Self-Sponsorship Visa

This stream of sponsorship visa can be applied for if you have set up or are planning to set up an Australian business here.

You will in effect be sponsored by your own company and this self-sponsoring visa is valid initially for one year.

Before the year is up you must re-apply for a new self-sponsorship visa which if approved will be valid for 4 years allowing you to stay longer in Australia.

This stream allows you to include under your visa your dependent family members and to employ/sponsor overseas employees.

You will need to find an immigration Lawyer who can offer advice and assistance with the company set up and registration in Australia, should you go this route.

To set this up can, depending on Immigration, take 2–4 months

3) Skilled Migration Visa

To obtain permanent residency immediately in Australia then the Skilled Migration points tested Visa is, if you have the required qualification and many other criteria, the way to go.

Included under this visa are your dependent family members who are also entitled to permanent residency.

This permanent residency visa gives your wife/de facto partner full working rights and your children can attend schools in Australia. You will not be paying overseas school fees. If you decide to stay you and your dependents can, after only 4 years, apply for Australia citizenship.

It is possible to submit your application onshore in Australia or Offshore which can take up to 8 months depending on many factors ie. your occupation and Immigration processing time frames.

Here are more ways to stay longer in Australia

4) Regional Skilled Migration Visa

If you have a job offer from an employer based in Regional Australia for a minimum of 3 years, then you are entitled to apply for the Regional Skilled visa.

Your occupation must at a certain skill level be on the Australian classification of occupation list (professionals, managers and trade workers).

A skills assessment exemption usually applies to trade professionals who have been with their employer on a 457 visa for the past 2 years.

After 4 years, you can apply for Australian citizenship.

Processing time can take as long as 8 months depending on the Immigration Department.

5) Employer Nomination Scheme

The Employer Nomination Scheme is another way to gain Australian residency if you have a job offer. Your occupation must fall on the skills shortage list and your employer, who must sponsor you, must also be willing to employ you for at least 2 years.

You are also required to pass a skills assessment or if you have already worked for 3 years under a 457 visa then you are entitled to an exemption.

Read about the latest 457 visa news (2017) here.

On the Employer Nomination Visa, you can include your family members who will also obtain Australian residency.

This visa can take Immigration about 6-8 months to process.

6) De Facto Visa

If you have an Australian partner and you have evidence that your relationship is genuine then you should be eligible to apply for a De Facto visa.

Initially your visa which can be submitted onshore or offshore will be valid provisionally for 2 years.

If you are in Australia at the time of applying for your De Facto visa you will be covered by a bridging visa.

You will be granted permanent residency by Immigration if you are still together after 2 years.

Newly married couples and de facto couples have to show evidence that the relationships are genuine.

Processing time by Immigration takes approximately 9-12 months.

7) Australian Student Visa

If you are already in Australia on a tourist or other type of visa then you can extend your stay by booking for any coarse i.e. diploma, degree or any other coarse you like.

On this visa (subclass 500 visa), you must study full time and allows you to work part time for 20 hours/week.

This visa remains valid for the length of your coarse and once this is completed you will not be allowed to stay longer in Australia.

If you are already in Australia, you can apply onshore.

A bridging visa if required allows you to stay in Aus. while your student visa is being processed.

Immigration will require proof of sufficient funds and enrollment confirmation from the institution where you will be studying.

8) 2nd Year Working Holiday Visa (WHV)

If you are a South African who possesses dual nationality with access to one of the passports that Australia allows for a working holiday visa, then once you have completed your first year you can apply for a 2nd year.

To qualify you must have be between 18 and 31 years of age when applying for your first WHV and have completed a minimum of 88 days in Regional Australia doing construction or fruit picking work while on your WHV 1st year.

When applying for a WHV 2nd year while still in Australia, the second years’ visa will become active as soon as you complete the first WHV year.

To avoid endangering any future stay applications remember you cannot work for the same employer longer than 6 months, unless he has another location he can move you to.

You can apply for this visa either in or outside of Australia

.It takes Immigration about 2-3 weeks to process your application.

So there are your 8 ways to stay longer in Australia. Now there is no excuse not stay longer in Australia.

If you are not certain about your status contact a migration agent or immigration lawyer near you for some sound advice. Visas are expensive so be sure of your facts before lodging your application.

South Africans to Oz Resources that you may be interested in.

Check out the latest visa news (2017) here.

If you need a MARA registered migration agent then read my post by clicking on the link.





Please follow and like us:
Follow by Email

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.