Chicken parmigiana bake for the family
Make a rich tomato sauce base and top it with yummy chicken schnitzels and eggplant.
This is an ideal family meal that’s enjoyed by many Aussies across the lucky country
0:10 Prep 0:30 Cook 4 Servings
Ingredients you will need
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 (700g) chicken breast schnitzels (uncrumbed), halved crossways
- 1 medium brown onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 340g jar fire-roasted pepper strips, drained
- 230g tub diced antipasto chargrilled eggplant, drained (see tip below)
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pasta sauce
- 1/3 cup Fountain Spicy Red sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 100g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- Basil leaves
Method – 4 easy steps
Step 1 – Firstly preheat oven to 220°C/200°C, fan-forced.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
Cook chicken, in 2 batches, for 2 to 3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked through.
Transfer to a plate.
Step 2 – Heat remaining oil in pan and add onion and garlic.
Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes or until onion has softened.
Add peppers and eggplant. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add pasta sauce and Spicy Red sauce.
Bring to the boil. Stir in basil and season with salt and pepper.
Step 3 – Place half the chicken in a 10 cup-capacity ovenproof dish and pour over half the sauce mixture.
Top with remaining chicken and sauce mixture.
Top with cheese and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
Step 4 – Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until top is golden.
Serve the bake topped with basil.
Tip – How to make your own antipasto char grilled egg plant.
You will need 500g of eggplant, thinly sliced into rounds.
- Layer eggplant and salt in a colander.
- Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water and dry with paper towel.
- Heat a chargrill over high heat.
- Cook eggplant, in batches, for 4 to 5 minutes each side or until browned and tender.
Enjoy this delicious Chicken Parmigiana Bake
Check out some more popular Aussie Recipes